Eating disorders are serious mental health issues. Often, they take the form of anorexia or bulimia, but there are other kinds of disordered eating. But suffer binge-eating and then purging. This involves eating larger amounts than normal, then overcompensating by attempting to remove the food from one’s system. It can become a vicious cycle that does permanent damage to the body. However, to overcome disordered eating requires professional help. Fortunately, Integrative Life Center offers a binge and purge treatment program.
The Negative Effects of Purging
When individuals with disordered eating binge, it’s can be a symptom of a lack of self-control. But usually, an individual’s motivations are more complicated. Because disordered eating is a mental health disorder, there are many factors involved. These can range from lack of self-control, as mentioned, to a physical inability to moderate eating or appetite, to fears of disappointing others, and even simply as a result of irrationally starving oneself. This is why finding help in a binge and purge treatment program is so important. Getting to the root cause of an individual’s disordered eating is something best handled by professionals.
There are several ways someone might purge, and learning to recognize them can help find the appropriate treatment. Some ways of purging include:
- Vomiting: Perhaps the most common method. Typically a person will induce vomiting by putting their fingers down their throat or drink salt water or some other concoction. This method is very harmful to the digestive system and can do lasting damage to one’s teeth.
- Diarrhea: Self-induced diarrhea achieved through taking laxatives or diuretics is another method of purging. This method can cause dehydration, weight loss, and vitamin deficiencies.
- Excessive Exercise: Although exercise is considered to be a healthy behavior when done to excess, it can have harmful results. Exercising enough to burn off the calories of a binge can take hours and loss of time for other responsibilities. On occasion, this sort of purging also involves the use of drugs like meth or cocaine, leading to substance abuse.
When individuals engage in these purging behaviors, they set themselves up for harm. Thus, the sooner they get the help they need, the sooner they can heal.
How a Binge and Purge Treatment Program Helps
Because disordered eating is a mental health issue, to overcome it, individuals need professional help. Counselors and therapists can help patients learn to identify and avoid triggers. Triggers can range from seeing one’s reflection in mirrors to boredom to stress. A binge and purge treatment program teaches patients how to use distractions during trigging events and how to healthily cope with loneliness or stress.
Also, patients are taught how to develop more healthy relationships with eating and food. This can come in the form of meal planning, cooking, and understanding how diet and nutrition affect their body. Learning how to take care of yourself is perhaps the biggest benefit of entering a bing and purge treatment program. At Integrative Life Center, we are certain once patients understand how to care for themselves physically as well as emotionally and spiritually, the result with be lasting recovery.
Integrative Life Center
No matter the eating disorder, whether anorexia, bulimia, or some other disordered eating, overcoming it and returning to health can’t be done alone. Individuals need support. This is why Integrative Life Center offers compassionate, comprehensive care in its binge and purge treatment program. Nested within its eating disorder treatment program, we can help you or your loved one recover physically and emotionally. Some of our therapies include:
- Trauma-Informed Therapy
- Equine Therapy
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Experiential Therapy
By providing these and many other therapies, we make sure patients have the necessary means to address their unique needs as they heal. So contact us today at 615.455.3903 and explore what we have to offer.